Full House Launch Autumn Programme
Thursday 7th September saw a full house, 108 members, attend the General Assembly which was the start of the Vall del Pop U3A autumn programme. After the obligatory funny story from Bob Welham, our President, this month it was (for once) quite amusing, we got down to the Association news.
We were advised that Peter Ellis had stood down as the editor of the U3A News Letter, after more than two years in post, and we were introduced to Linda Burns who was taking over – the contact email address for the news letter remains unchanged. Our thanks to Peter for his dedication to this post.
Teresa Tilbrook confirmed lots of news about groups which were restarting or new:
- Cinema Club restarting on Monday 11th September at 6.45pm at Jalon Salon (next to the Town Hall) with the showing of Downton Abbey a New Era.
The second film, A man called Otto, will be shown on 25th September.
- Chess Group starting in November so please sign up with Teresa.
- A revamped New Dining Experience Group will be starting in October, again please contact Teresa for more information.
The Goodwill Team is going from strength to strength and already has €5,500 in the charity kitty, with new events organised:
- An evening with Neil Diamond and friends on 14th September at Pepe’s Alcalali.
- 60-70’s Themed Garden Party at Liz’s house on 14th October starting at 7pm.
- Halloween Bingo and Quiz evening at Pepe’s restaurant in Alcalai on 31st October.
The TCET Group have a full trip to Zaragosa this month and:
A trip to Concentaina programmed for 3rd November.
Members were asked to nominate places/events they would like to visit before the TCET committee meeting on 14th September.
The Sharing & Caring Team is seeking new members who can provide the support to other members in their area who are in need of a friendly face, a chance to talk or help in any way. This is a group which we believe is unique to VdP U3A and provides welcome support whenever and wherever it is needed. So please volunteer and help another member at times of need. Please contact Bridget Redmond.
Finally, we got to the highlight of this GA – a performance by Pick & Mix, an off-shot of the Denia U3A Guitar Group, singing and accompanying themselves on guitar, ukulele, harmonica and melodian with classic songs from our youth which immediately had us all singing along, at least in our minds if not out loud, and tapping our feet. The enthusiasm, skill and fun displayed by this group sent everybody home smiling after a wonderful collection of songs. Who, of our age group, cannot enjoy memories of classics like – ‘My Old Mans A Dustman’, Does Your Chewing Gum Lose It’s Flavour’, and ‘Dedicated Follower of Fashion’.
They don’t make songs like that anymore!!! Who said ‘Thank Goodness’?????
Article and Photos by Peter Sockett